Ophthalmology is the branch of medicine that deals with the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the eye. An ophthalmologist is a specialist in medical and surgical conditions of the eye.
Paediatric ophthalmology is a sub-speciality of ophthalmology concerned with a variety of eye conditions affecting children of all ages:-
• Strabismus / Squint / Crossed eyes
• Amblyopia (Lazy eye )
• Blocked tear ducts
• Cataracts – congenital and developmental
• Glaucoma – congenital, secondary and juvenile
• Retinoblastoma – a highly malignant intraocular tumour affecting children under five years of age
• Delayed visual maturation
• Refractive errors – myopia (short-sight), hyperopia (long-sight) and astigmatism ( a mixture of long and short –sight)
• Genetic eye conditions
• Congenital abnormalities of the eye
• Retinopathy of Prematurity – a potentially blinding condition that affects very premature babies.