CHI at Temple Street
Tel.: (01) 878 4274
IF YOU NEED TO ATTEND THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT, PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE OTHER CHILDREN ALONE AT HOME.
IN AN EMERGENCY, DIAL 999/112. THIS SERVICE IS RESERVED FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY
Approximately 55,000 children from areas of Dublin North City and North County and South County Meath (Ashbourne/Rathoath area) attend the Emergency Department (ED) at Temple Street ever year.
The ED is open 24 hours a day, seven days per week and children that attend the ED are aged 0 years to eve of 16th birthday and are looked after by a team which includes doctors, nurses, administrative staff, ward attendants, porters and household staff who all contribute to providing the best patient care possible for you and your child.
The ED is for acute emergencies and trauma cases. GPs are available for chronic or minor accidents and illnesses. You should contact your GP in the first instance regarding any questions on your child’s health. If you are referred to the ED, you may experience some delays due to the arrival of a major trauma or a long list of patients to be seen. Patients are prioritised by our Triage Nurse and the severity of their illness/injury is assessed. You may be asked to take a seat in our waiting room and your child will be seen by one of our doctors as soon as possible. We would appreciate your co-operation during these times and we will ensure that each child is seen as soon as possible.
When you come to the ED;
- Please bring any medications that your child is currently taking
- Do not bring valuables with you as we cannot guarantee their safety
- Switch off all mobile phones as they affect some of the vital machinery in the ED
- If you have any queries regarding your child, please ask any of the Nursing Staff who will be glad to assist you
- There is also an Emergency Support Officer on duty between 8a.m. -4p.m.: Monday-Friday and she will also be happy to assist you
On arrival to the Emergency Department, it is extremely important that your child’s correct details are given to the Receptionist at Registration. Please ensure that you give us:
- Child’s correct surname and forename (if at any stage, you wish to change your child’s surname, ask the Receptionist who will inform you of the process to follow)
- Child’s correct date of birth
- Current address and telephone number, including mobile phone number
- Next-of kin and telephone number if different from above
- Your GP’s name
- If you have a Medical Card, please present this to the receptionist
- Please note, unless you have a Medical Card, GP letter or you are a member of the National Forces, there is a mandatory government charge for attendance at the ED. This is payable by cash/cheque/visa or laser card
- If there are any changes to the above details, please ensure that you inform the Receptionist in case we need to contact you for follow-up treatment
Click here to view Interactive Stories
Click here to view Colouring Sheets
Click here to view Activity Booklets & Sheets