GUIDELINES FOR HOSPITAL VISITING
All individuals visiting patients in the hospital must adhere to the following
- Visiting hours are unrestricted for parents/guardians. They may visit every day and are encouraged to spend as much time as possible with their child whilst in hospital.
- One parent/guardian may stay in the hospital overnight with their child at his/her bedside. There is limited parent accommodation available which cannot be guaranteed.
- Parents/guardians should indicate to the Clinical Nurse Manager or Staff Nurse the identity of likely visitors the child may receive where possible.
- Normal Visiting Hours for siblings, adult relatives and friends are between 10.00am and 8.00pm. The recommended duration of a visit is 20/30 minutes.
- All visitors must leave the hospital by 8.00pm.
- For security reasons, the front door will be locked at 6.00pm Monday – Friday and will remain closed all day Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays, entry/exit is via the Emergency Department entrance only.
- Visitors are limited to no more than two individuals at any one time.
- Children visiting the hospital must be supervised by an adult at all times, who is responsible for the control, care, and safety of the visiting child/children. Child visitors must not be left unsupervised.
- Children 9 years old and over and their parent/guardian should wear a face covering when attending any of CHI’s emergency, outpatients, admissions/day ward departments.
- Face coverings are not required for children under 9 unless clinically advised.
- Visitors may not eat or drink on the ward unless a specific parent room is available. This is because the child being visited, or other children in the ward, may have to fast or could be on a restricted diet. Furthermore, hot food and drinks can pose a potential risk for burns and scalds to children on the ward.
- Visiting hours will be restricted during medical and/or emergency situations. All exceptions are at the discretion of the Clinical Nurse Manager/Consultant.
- A parent/legal guardian must inform the Clinical Nurse Manager of any legal custodial/care orders, and provide appropriate paperwork. Any queries should be referred to the Risk Management Department.
- Parents and guardians are requested to support staff in ensuring all visitors leave when requested to do so.
- Visitors must comply with all Hospital policies that are relevant to them while on site.
OUR EXPECTATIONS OF PARENTS AND VISITORS:
All visitors are asked to help the hospital staff to help those in our care by adhering to the following:
- Use hand rub provided as you enter and leave the ward/unit.
- Adhere with isolation policies and signage.
- Please refrain from touching patient’s dressings, drips, catheter etc. yourself. If you have a concern/ query ask the staff nurse or clinical nurse manager.
- Help keep our hospital clean and inform staff of any cleaning concerns.
- Do not visit the hospital if you are unwell as you may be an infection risk to patients and others.
- Always enter and exit the hospital through the main entrance doors during opening hours or the Emergency Department entrance after 6.00pm.
- Ensure visiting children are supervised at all times.
- Be responsible for the safety and security of your own belongings. The Hospital Management takes no responsibility for loss of personal property while in the hospital.
- Photographing and filming of children within the hospital is only permitted by the parent/guardian of the child or with consent from the parent/guardian. When/if parents/guardians are photographing their own child, they must ensure no other child is captured in the photograph.
- Do not access unauthorised areas.
- Consider other patients’ need for rest and privacy.
- Have consideration for staff doing their job.
- Comply with any requests to leave the patient’s room to facilitate care.
- Observe confidentiality – visitors may see or hear things of a private and confidential nature.
- Do not sit or lie on beds – empty beds have been decontaminated for use by new patients.
- Do not visit while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, as admission will be refused.
- Respect for all members of staff (including security staff/others) who are enforcing this hospital visiting policy.
- Visitors will be required to comply fully with visiting restrictions at ward level or at a hospital level for infection control reasons.
- Parents/guardians staying overnight are to ensure that lights and other electrical equipment are turned off at 10.00pm.
- Inappropriate language or behaviour may result in visitors being asked to leave.