User Survey: Help us improve our website by taking this simple survey Take the Survey

Meet our Staff


Administration Staff

There is a large number of Administration Staff in the hospital. You will meet some in the X-Ray Department, Admissions Department, Out- Patients Departments and wards. Administration Staff will make sure your child’s details are up to date on our computer system and your child’s Healthcare record is up to date when you visit our hospital. It is very important that you tell our staff if you change your address, phone number or any other details as we may need to contact you. We have introduced a text reminder service, please contact us if you change your mobile number.

Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP)

Advanced Nurse Practitioners are highly qualified, experienced nurses who may take care of your child from the time he/she arrives to when they go home. The ANP in our Emergency Department is experienced in the care of children with cuts and broken bones.


An Anaesthetist is a medical doctor trained to give anaesthetic medication to adults or children. This medication is used to make sure children / adults stay asleep during an operation.


The Audiology Department in St. Frances Clinic performs hearing tests for children referred to the department by a hospital consultant. 

Chaplain Team

Chaplains offer support to families of all faiths and families with no particular faith background.

Clinical Nurse Manager (CNM)

A Clinical Nurse Manager is the manager of a ward or nursing team with responsibility for patient care, staff support and education.

Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)

There are a number of specialist nurses working within multidisiplinary teams in the hospital. The CNS co-ordinates tests, appointments and treatment plans for children.

Clinical Respiratory Scientist

Our Clinical Respiratory Scientists carry out a number of breathing tests to measure how well a child’s lungs are working. The results of these tests are used to decide how best to treat children with respiratory conditions.

Clinical Secretary

The secretary types up all letters for the Consultant who is looking after your child. The letter will be sent to your GP or referring doctor to keep them up to date about your child’s condition. You can also contact the secretary to make an out-patients’s appointment. You will find each secretary’s contact details on the back of your child’s appointment card.


A Consultant is a senior medical or surgical doctor. The consultant may be the doctor overseeing the care of a child or a doctor who has been asked to assist in the care of your child.


The dietitian works in the hospital across many of the speciality areas. They use their knowledge of clinical nutri­tion to help children to improve their health or to treat their illness.

Health Care Assistant (HCA)

Health Care Assistants are involved in the delivery of care to patients under the supervision of Clinical Nurse Managers and qualified nursing staff.

Medical Social Worker

The Medical Social Work Department offers a number of services to children and their families, both on an In /Out Patient basis. A child’s illness and hospital visits can be a stressful time for families. Because of this we offer both practical and emotional support to help you with these difficulties. We offer support and counselling to children, parents and families who have a new diagnosis of illness or long-term condition. We help families make contact with local services that may offer support on your child’s discharge. We can be found upstairs on the first floor in the Out-Patients Department and are open from 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm. Our telephone number is 01-8784212.


A Neonatogist is a doctor who specialises in caring for premature and newborn babies.

Non Consultant Hospital Doctor (NCHD)

One of the doctors caring for an adult or child under the supervision of a Consultant.


A nurse is a health professional who cares for adults and children who may be sick. A nurse helps to teach adults, children and families about healthy living and how to manage their illness.

Occupational Therapist (OT)

The OT works with children and families to assess and help him/her complete every activities to the best of their ability. Everyday activities include washing, using the toilet, dressing, eating / drinking going to school and playing. The OT will help by teaching a child to learn new skills, suggest equipment, splint a part of their body or give advice on their environment.


A Paediatrician is a medical doctor who specialises in diagnosing and treating illness in babies and children.

Play Specialist

A Play Specialist is a person who through play, helps to reduce any negative effects of staying in hospital for children. The play specialist plans and organises play programmes for children of all age groups appropriate to their development needs, condition and background. Our play specialists provides play activities for children to normalise their hospital experience. Our play specialists can prepare children for hospital procedures, distracts them when it’s happening, and follows up with play when the procedure is over.

Portering Staff

Portering Staff work through out the hospital providing a variety of services depending on the area.


Our Phlebotomists are trained to take blood samples from children. They use a number of methods to address any fears or discomfort your child may have.


The Physiotherapy Department is in the main Out Patients Department. Our team of physiotherapists works as part of the multidisiplinary team caring for your child. Physiotherapists in our hospital treat children using specific play and exercise activities that help children to reach developmental milestones or recover from injury or illness.


Psychologists are trained to understand normal development and behaviour as well as difficulties and problems. Those who work within a hospital setting have a special knowledge of how illness, or having a long-term medical condition or a learning disability can affect a young person’s development. A psychologist will assess a child’s behaviour, learning, social abilities, emotional well-being, coping and help to decide if a child has a developmental delay, a specific learning difficulty or a more serious disorder of development. Psychologists work with children, young people and their families to help them talk about their worries or fears and to try and understand how the young person may be feeling about their illness. How it may be affecting their home or school life and to learn ways of coping with their condition so that they can lead as normal a life as possible.


The Psychiatry Department in St Frances Clinic provides support in the diagnosis and management of emotional disorders and difficulties in children and teenagers attending the hospital.

Speech and Language Therapist

Our department is located in St Frances Clinic and provides an in patient and out patient service. Speech and Language Therapists work closely with families, carers and other professionals to assess and treat children’s speech, language, communication and feeding difficulties. Where appropriate we refer children directly to their local Speech and Language Therapy service for further treatment.

Ward Clerk

There is a Ward Clerk on all wards. They make sure that your child’s healthcare record is kept tidy and up to date. This will help your child’s medical team make an informed decision about your child’s treatment. When your child is going home from hospital the Ward Clerk will arrange his/her out-patients appointment.

Ward Household Assistants

The household assistants provide food and drinks for children during their stay in hospital. They will inform you, on a daily basis, of what is on the menu and are there to provide you with snacks throughout the day.

X-Ray Department

Within the X Ray Department children who are in-patients or out-patients can have a range of x-rays and scans including ultrasound, bone scans, CT scans or MRI scans to diagnose and monitor illnesses or injuries. If you visit the department you may meet a radiographer who will take the x-ray or scan which later will be examined by a specialist doctor called a Radiologist. You may also meet one of our x-ray nurses. Our x-ray team is specially trained to care for infants, children and teenagers. We keep your child’s safety in mind at all times. We take great care to use the lowest amount of radiation possible to produce the best image. Your child may need medicine to put them to sleep during an examination. We send the results of the x-rays and scans to your doctor to help with decisions about what treatment your child needs.

Translate »