Temple Street Children’s University Hospital
Tel: (01) 878 4293
Who can be referred? Children referred to Psychology must be under the care of a medical or surgical team within the Children’s University Hospital and the reason for referral will be associated with their medical or surgical condition. We do not usually see children where the problems presented represent common emotional, behavioural or psychological difficulties in children which have no relationship to their physical health care. In this case problems are best dealt with by a local community service. Detailed Psychological evaluation may be carried out where a learning difficulty is known to be associated with the child’s condition. Examples of referrals include:
- Children adjusting to medical illness, e.g. coping with necessary treatment/care, understanding their condition.
- Supporting the young person in social and peer relationships
- Children with emotional or behavioural difficulties, e.g. anxiety, low mood, excessive worries
- Difficulties or anxiety in coping with procedures such as bloods, injections
- School difficulties – specific learning difficulties, school refusal
- Developmental difficulties, e.g. Learning Disability, Autism
- Supporting children during hospitalisation
How to Refer?
- Through the medical consultant.
- On some teams staff can refer directly to team Psychologist by completing the relevant referral form.
Psychologists are always open to discuss a possible referral with staff. You can contact relevant psychologist on the medical team or contact St. Frances Clinic, on 01-8784293 Referrals for PFT’s can be made through the consultants and their teams in CUH hospital by completing a referral form. Referral forms can be found in the Outpatients Dept, in Accident and Emergency, on the Day Ward and wards throughout the hospital. Referrals can also be made though GPs. Patients need to contact the lab directly for an appointment. Our Outpatient service is through appointment and we provide an Inpatient service on a daily basis. Required information
- Patient name and hospital number
- Patient contact details
- Clinical history of the patient
- Diagnosis/Reason for referral
- Tests required
- Infectious status